Commercial vehicle registrations: +9.1% over eight months; +6.1% in August

Brussels, 26 September 2014 - In July, demand for new commercial vehicle increased by 9.5%. In August, the EU* market of new commercial vehicles expanded for the twelfth consecutive month

In July, demand for new commercial vehicle increased by 9.5%. The French market was down by 6.7%, while Germany (+3.4%), Italy (+23.7%), Spain (+24.5%) and the UK (+25.9%) contributed positively to the overall upturn. In August, the EU* market of new commercial vehicles expanded for the twelfth consecutive month. Demand increased by 6.1%, totalling 104,686 units. Growth prevailed in the segment of vans, while the truck and buses and coaches segments declined. All major markets expanded, except for France (-6.1%), from 7.7% in Germany to 10.5% in Italy, 10.7% in the UK and 17.6% in Spain. From January to August, 1,171,120 new commercial vehicles were registered, or 9.1% more than in the same period last year. Looking at the largest markets, France remained stable (-1.0%), while Germany expanded by 7.5%. The UK (+12.8%), Italy (+15.1%) and Spain (+33.9%) posted double-digit growths.

New Light Commercial Vehicles up to 3.5t – 'vans'
In July, new registrations of vans totalled 127,627 units, or 12.8% more than in the same month last year. France (-5.2%) registered fewer vehicles, while Germany expanded by 6.4%. Spain, Italy and the UK recorded a double-digit growth (+26.7%, +27.6% and 34.5% respectively). In August all major markets expanded, except for France (-3.5%), from 11.5% in Italy to 13.4% in Germany, 19.3% in Spain and 22.3% in the UK, leading to an overall 10.2% upturn. From January to August, the EU*market of vans increase by 11.1%, compared to the first eight months of 2013, mainly affected by the significant growth recorded in the Italian (+16.9%), UK (+19.1%) and Spanish (+35.2%) markets. France remained stable (+0.3%), while Germany expanded by 7.9%. New van registrations in the EU* totalled 974,215 units over the period.

New Heavy Commercial Vehicles over 16t (excluding buses and coaches) – 'heavy trucks'
In July, results were diverse in the segment of heavy trucks, with France (-17.7%) and the UK (-17.2%) facing a downturn, while Spain (+11.4%) posted a double-digit growth leading to a 4.3% downturn in the whole region*. In August the same growth pattern could be observed for Germany (+2.4%) and Italy (+3.8%), while a consistent decrease in France (-16.4%) and the UK (-23.5%) was recorded, leading to an overall 6.1% downturn. Over eight months, the region registered 3.0% more vehicles than in the same period last year and counted 135,837 new heavy trucks. Looking at the major markets, France (-9.0%) and the UK (-24.8%) performed less well than in the first eight months of 2013, while the Italian (+12.8%), German (+15.3%) and Spanish (+32.5%) markets expanded.

New Commercial Vehicles over 3.5t (excluding buses and coaches) – 'trucks'
July results were down 5.6% compared to June 2013, with a total of 23,001 new trucks. Germany (-3.2%), Italy (-3.5%), France (-17.8%) and the UK (-15.6%), saw their markets shrink, while Spain (+10.4%) registered more trucks than in the same month last year. In August a majority of major markets registered a drop in truck registrations, from -4.4% in Germany to -15.4% in France and -20.8% in the UK. The Italian market expanded (+4.2%), while the Spanish remained stable (+0.7%). From January to August, France (-10.2%) and the UK (-23.9%) faced a downturn, while demand was up in Italy (+3.4%), Germany (+6.7%) and Spain (+27.2%), leading to a stable situation in the whole region (-0.4%). In total, 175,604 new trucks were registered in the EU* in the first eight months.

New buses and coaches over 3.5t
In July, new bus and coach registrations were up 9.0%, totalling 2,744 units. Among the three most significant markets, the UK was the only one to post growth (+8.1%). Germany (-17.1%) and France (-12.3%) fared less well than in the same month a year earlier. August results were down 12.7% compared to August 2013, with diverse results in the major markets. France (-28.5%), Germany (-19.7%) and the UK (-54.0%) declined, while Italy and Spain grew (+27.9% and + 70.9% respectively). From January to August, Spain was the largest market (+9.3%), followed by Germany (+3.5%) and Italy (+1.4%). Overall, the EU* recorded 21,301 new buses and coaches, or 4.6% more than in the first eight months of 2013. *Data for Malta unavailable





Files