The automobile industry: the engine of Europe.
Driving safe and sustainable mobility
- Europe's cars, vans, trucks and buses are the cleanest, safest and quietest in the world.
- Europe leads the way in clean production, with decreasing quantities of water and energy used to manufacture a vehicle, and much less CO2 and waste produced in the process.
- Cars and buses provide freedom and mobility for all, providing us with direct access to education, health and employment.
Delivering the goods
- Trucks and vans deliver the goods and services we take for granted in our daily lives, carrying 76.7% of freight transported over land and delivering 14.7 billion tonnes of goods per year.
Serving the community
- Many of our essential public services - such as postal, waste and emergency services - are delivered by cars, trucks and vans.
Powering economic growth
- The turnover generated by the automotive sector represents 7% of the EU's total GDP.
- The automobile industry has ripple effects throughout the economy, supporting a vast supply chain and generating an array of business services.
Creating skilled jobs
- 13.8 million Europeans work in the auto industry (directly and indirectly), accounting for 6.1% of all EU jobs.
- 11.4% of EU manufacturing jobs – some 3.5 million – are in the automotive sector.
Manufacturing in Europe
- Vehicle manufacturing is a strategic industry in the EU, where 19.2 million cars, vans, trucks and buses are manufactured per year.
- Automobile manufacturers operate some 309 vehicle assembly and production plants in 27 countries across Europe.
- The European auto industry is a global player, delivering quality 'Made in Europe' products around the world, and generating a €84.4 billion trade surplus for the EU.
Generating government revenue
- Motor vehicles account for €428 billion in tax contributions in the EU-15 countries alone.
- The automotive sector is the EU’s number one investor in R&D, responsible for 28% of total spending.
- EU automotive investment in R&D has increased by 6.7% to reach €57.4 billion annually.
- Over half of all automotive patents were granted to the EU industry in 2018.