One of the four main pillars of the 2019-2024 ACEA Manifesto, which seeks to foster collaboration between the auto industry and EU policy makers, is making road transport smart and convenient. The main objective is to firmly establish the EU as the global leader in consumer-focused, innovative mobility solutions.
What our industry offers
- The world’s strongest investment in automotive R&D, amounting to €57.4 billion per year or 28% of total EU R&D spending.
- 37.2% of all patent applications related to self-driving vehicles since 2011, putting Europe ahead of China (3%), Japan (13%) and the United States (33.7%).
- Targeted and flexible solutions for each mobility reality or transport use case, matching the unique characteristics of each of Europe’s many urban areas and more than 300 regions.
What Europe should do
- Launch European flagship initiatives focussing on mobility innovation that bring together universities, research centres and players from across the entire automotive value chain.
- Support the development and roll-out of connected and automated driving.
- Remove regulatory obstacles to the (cross-border) deployment of new mobility technologies.
- Enable rapid deployment of the required digital communications infrastructure (V2X) to complement existing transport and road infrastructure.
- Adopt a clear roadmap for the introduction of increasing levels of automation.
- Enable innovation in new data-driven mobility business models, as well as on-demand transport solutions and vehicle ownership models.
- Take a ‘consumer-focused’ approach, by adopting mobility and transport policies that respond to changing consumer habits and needs.