Road freight transport is the backbone of trade and commerce on the European continent. Trucks carry 71.3% of all freight transported over land.
- Today, there are some 6.5 million trucks in circulation throughout the EU.
- 417,339 trucks were manufactured in the EU in 2016.
- In 2016, 472,499 trucks (over 5 tonnes) were exported worldwide, worth €5.3 billion. They are responsible for a trade surplus of €4.9 billion.
- The performance of road freight transport (measured in billion tonne-kilometres) grew by 14.3% between 2000 and 2014.
- Despite an increase in freight transport, fatalities involving heavy goods vehicles decreased by 53% between 2001 and 2014.
Discover many other facts and figures about the importance of trucks in this fact sheet.